Capital Project Vote Is Dec. 8: Here Are 12 Things To Know
Residents of the Marion Central School District will vote on a $14 million capital project proposal on Tuesday, Dec. 8.
Here are 12 things to know about the project:
- The project focuses on improving District facilities with a focus on four areas: Maintenance, Accessibility, Repair and Efficiencies.
“This is a blue-collar project,” Marion Superintendent of Schools Don Bavis said. “There are no frills in this project, no architectural grand designs. This is really about things that need to be fixed, need to be repaired, need to be addressed and the longer that we wait, the more costly it will be to our taxpayers in the long run.”
- The project will come at no additional cost to local taxpayers. Approximately 85 percent of the project will be funded by state aid with the remaining 15 percent being covered by the District’s capital reserve fund.
- The project includes work at Marion Elementary School, Marion Junior-Senior High School and at the Marion Bus Garage.
- Improving accessibility is a top priority at Marion Elementary School with the replacement of stair lifts and the elevator, adding an accessible public toilet near the auditorium and renovating the nurse’s office to meet Americans with Disabilities Act (requirements).
- Replacing the roof and removing the existing ceiling are other key components at the Elementary School.
- Roof work and toilet renovations are also needed at the Junior-Senior High School.
- The flashing at the entrance to the high school needs to be repaired to eliminate water infiltration issues.
- This project would provide better opportunities for our athletes with a resurfaced track, upgrades to the playing surface on the stadium field and filling in cracks at the tennis courts. The main scoreboard is also obsolete and needs replacement.
- Safety is a top priority at the Bus Garage where the parking lot has a slope and becomes treacherous in the winter and the original roof is beginning to show its age.
- A maintenance shop would provide the facilities staff with additional storage and a safer place to work.
- Enlarging the fitness center would provide more space for our students and community to work out. It would also include new restrooms that could be used by the public during outdoor athletic events.
- The vote is from noon until 8 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 8 at Marion Elementary School.