New York State requires all public and nonpublic elementary and secondary schools to provide written notification to all persons in parental relation, faculty, and staff regarding the potential use of pesticides periodically throughout the school year.
Marion Central School District is required to maintain a list of persons in parental relation, faculty and staff who wish to receive 48-hour prior written notification of certain pesticide applications. The following pesticide applications are not subject to prior notification requirements:
- a school remains unoccupied for a continuous 72-hour period following an application. Also, the following pesticide applications are NOT subject to prior notification.
- anti-microbial products
- non-volatile rodenticides in tamper-resistant bait stations in areas inaccessible to children
- non-volatile insecticidal baits in tamper-resistant bait stations in areas inaccessible to children
- silica gels and other nonvolatile ready-to-use pastes, foams, or gels in areas inaccessible to children
- boric acid and disodium octaborate tetrahydrate
- the application of EPA designated biopesticides
- the application of EPA designated exempt materials under 40CFR152.25
- the use of aerosol products with a directed spray in containers of 18 fluid ounces or less when used to protect individuals from an imminent threat from stinging and biting insects including venomous spiders, bees, wasps, and hornets.
In the event of an emergency application necessary to protect against an imminent threat to human health, a good faith effort will be made to supply written notification to those on the 48-hour prior notification list.
If you would like to receive 48-hour notification of pesticide applications that are scheduled to occur in your school, please contact Tom Nortier, Director of Facilities, Marion Central School , 4034 Warner Road, Marion, New York 14505, 315-926-2413.